NSRI WATER SAFETY
WATER SAFETY AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
In case of emergency contact:
NSRI Station 4 at Club Mykonos 24 hour emergency number : 082 990 5966
Saldanha Bay Port Control 24 hour emergency number : 022 714 1726
Get more information about the NSRI at http://www.nsri.org.za/
GENERAL SWIMMING GUIDELINES
* Alcohol and swimming are a lethal combination; never get into the water after consuming alcohol.
* Do not attempt to swim on an empty stomach or directly after a meal, either situation can cause disabling cramps. Wait at least an hour after a meal before swimming.
* Do not swim if you feel unwell, tired or weak.
* Never swim alone or at deserted beaches, always tell someone where you are going.
* Do not swim at dusk or at night.
* Keep out of the water during electrical storms.
* Do not venture into deep water unless you are a strong swimmer. Be realistic about your swimming ability.
* Beware of unfamiliar swimming areas. Don’t dive into shallow water or water that is muddy or clouded.
* Swim well away from all boating activity e.g. speed boats, jet skis, surfers etc.
* Never swim to the aid of someone in distress if there is another way of affecting the rescue. The panic-stricken person is very likely to drag you under in desperation and cost you your life as well.
SWIMMING : THE BEACH